Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux wins Player of the week.



What does a guy have to do to get the player of the week award? I while I doubt that Phil Lamoureux is worried about silly things like awards, he can leave that to the fans like me, let’s take a look at the 2007-2008 addition of the goalie named Phil Lamoureux; Phil starts the season 2-0-1 stops 78/78 shots and gets snubbed for player of the week by the WCHA. How? I don’t have a clue. Maybe it’s a vast conspiracy against the Fighting Sioux?

In case anyone is keeping score, that’s the Fighting Sioux playing two top tens teams and not giving up a goal in 5 periods of hockey. Phil can’t help it that B.C.’s arena sucks and they had to cancel the game after two periods of hockey. Phil stopped many quality chances and it appeared that he couldn’t see the puck very well in holding B.C. off the board in two periods of hockey.

Let’s break this down further against B.C. and Northeastern Phil stopped may top quality chances brings home three points for the Sioux and doesn't get even a sniff.

This weeks Goon's World player of the Week: Is Jean Philippe Lamoureux from the University of North Dakota.

Goon’s Worlds picks:
UMD and DU Split
MSUM – UAA Split
UND and MTU UND 3 points
BSU and SCSU SCSU Sweep
OSU and Minnesota Minnesota Sweep.

Last week I went 9-5 in my picks.

UND plays MTU next

This week the UND Fighting Sioux play the upstart Michigan Tech Huskies and I think that anything less than 2 points for this weekend’s series is unacceptable. I would hope The Fighting Sioux goes into Houghton Michigan and plays hard, it’s time to lay down some smack on the MTU Huskies, especially after they embarrassed the Sioux last season in the REA. There is no excuse for the Sioux not coming out on fire and hitting and hustling and out working the Huskies. I am one of those people that realize that MTU is improved but I also don't believe all the hype. To take a phrase from the Fighting Sioux coach it is what it is. Sure the Huskies are a 4-7 place team in the WCHA, but UND should win against the Huskies, there is no excuse for losing. Getting swept by this team last season was unacceptable and the Sioux should have a bad taste in their mouth and should play with an edge this weekend.

PCM from Sioux sports on the Matchup this weekend.


I know MTU is better than they've been in recent years, but what have they done this season? They lost to Northern Michigan, a CCHA team picked to finish near the bottom of its conference, and had difficulty beating Lake Superior State, another CCHA team expected to finish near the bottom of the league. They swept MS-Mankato at home, a team the WCHA coaches picked to finish 9th in the league. So while I don't think the Sioux should take the Huskies for granted, I don't think we should be in great fear of them, either.


I would have to say that I agree with PCM on this one. Sure no one doubts that MTU isn't a good team, but they aren't world beaters either and they did lose to a NMU, team that is not very good this season.

7 comments:

  1. Nope.

    UMD doesn't play the Sioux for another month:link

    They're at Denver this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking Sioux and Dogs in NCC football this weekend. I probably would be a decent game.

    Amy, LOL, drama queen? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Congrats Lammy! Just curious who the other nominees were?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh. Sorry, college hockey started and my interest in college football has (predictably) dropped. You're right though. Although it's in Duluth, I'm expecting the Sioux to pound them. Quite a team you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and no, my comment wasn't directed at Amy. Amy is great about my obsession about hockey. She has said many times she wouldn't take that away from me.

    Amy's cool. She and I are journeying to Mankato for the UMD/Mankato Saturday night game. She's Mankato alum. I may not be UMD alum (I'm a Scholastica guy), but I've been to enough games to more than qualify. Although I think I don't want to be a UMD alum, that means I'd get gopher (notice the small g in gopher?) stuff in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Bulldog guy. I am the only Amy in this joint!! He was talking about me on the drama queen, because I called Lammy a drama queen.

    It's ok though. Your girlfriend must be kick ass if she has my name and is Mankato alum. Wait...are you stalking ME and saying I'm your girlfriend?!!? haha. Just kidding. I'm sure there are many of us MSUM alums named Amy. I just happen to be the best of all of them:)

    ReplyDelete