Sunday, June 03, 2007

Duck Defenseman Chris Pronger suspended for one game for this hit


Chris Pronger was suspended by the NHL for this hit on Dean McAmmond. It's the second time that Pronger was suspended by the league during the 2007 Stanley Cup playoffs. After the game on CBC Ron McClain asked Don Cherry if Pronger would be suspended for his hit by the league. Don Cherry's response was no, I don't think he will. I guess ole Grapes was wrong.

When I first saw this hit I didn't think it was that bad but after watching it a few times, there no reason to elbow a guy in the head like that. That being said I think Chris Neil had a questionable hit earlier in the game on McDonald seemed to be your typical questionable Chris Neil hit.

Seems that Brian Burke the GM of the Ducks agrees with my assessment of the Chris Neil hit.

BRIAN BURKE: I'll go first. Colin Campbell just informed me Chris Pronger had been suspended for a game. From my perspective, we have to accept the league's decision. I think Chris, if you look at the hit, Chris' footwork wasn't right. He was trying to stop a guy, finish his check. But at the end, he stuck his arm out and got him in the head and the player's injured and we're sorry about that.

So we have to accept the fact that the league has imposed a one-game suspension here. The troubling part for me is that I think there should be, should have been another hearing today.

This was a reaction hit on a tough play. Chris Neil's hit on Andy McDonald was reprehensible. You guys go back and break down the tape, he took six strides in from the blueline, he's going full speed, full extension, elbow right to the head. Our player skates away. He gets a free pass. Their player gets hurt. Chris Pronger gets a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment