Saturday, February 04, 2006

Response to my Letter to the SCSU Sports Editor.

Last week I wrote an email to Kevin Allenspack a sports writer from the St. Cloud Times about an article that he had written on UND. I thought the article he wrote was one sided and off the mark. Kevin was nice enough to write me back here was his letter.

Goon:

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. My response time is generally a lot quicker than one week, however I was out of the office for a few days and the rest has been busy getting stories done in advance of this weekend's series with Anchorage.

I appreciate your feedback on last week's preview story. I'll be the first to admit that the disparity in penalty minutes before last weekend's series with North Dakota had pretty much zero impact on the 2-1 SCSU wins. That's a risk you take in choosing a topic for a preview. I could easily have written about UND's offense (at the time, best in WCHA games) and that also would've proved way off base.

I'm glad you still thought it was more impartial than the FSN telecasts. That would've been too much if you didn't. Believe it or not, I consider myself very impartial in my coverage. I could care less whether SCSU wins or loses. I'm just after what makes the best story and serves the readers the most.

You have a good point that I did not see the Mankato infractions. However, I have been covering the WCHA for nearly a decade. And if you think anyone around the league is going to say another team is tougher to play against, from a standpoint of getting hit hard, beat on and intimidated than North Dakota, you're wrong. I've also seen Dean Blais send guys over the boards to take revenge for what he thought was a bad hit. I saw Brian Canady spear Jon Cullen in the groin toward the end of an SCSU victory. Dave Hakstol doesn't shirk the image of a tough team because it serves the Sioux. They are intimidating to play against.

As for the Sioux nickname controversy, I'm only glad I don't have to chronicle that soap opera. The Times won't let me use the word "Fighting," which I disagree with. I don't have a problem with the nickname, but I'm not a Native American, either. The one thing I can say is that I don't see the controversy ever going away unless the name changes. At some point, no matter how much school pride I felt, I'd get tired of fighting that same old battle. And you are correct, though, that SCSU should stay out of it and let the matter rest between UND and the NCAA.

I don't know if you regularly read the Times or just did so because the Huskies were UND's opponent. I appreciate your feedback and am always willing to hear more. You're also welcome to write a letter to the editor (To Sports Mailbag at: sports@stcloudtimes.com).

Hope to hear from you again,

Kevin Allenspach
St. Cloud Times

No comments:

Post a Comment