Friday, December 11, 2015

Big Ten Freshman Proposal: Why Don't They Just Say It?

Here's an idea, why doesn't the Big Ten Hockey Conference and the Power 5 schools just come out and say it. We're tired of losing to the Mid Majors, and Division II and III schools. Here's another good read from Scott McLaughlin of WEEI out of Boston.
Scott McLaughlin, WEEI --- First year [at Notre Dame], we lost in the playoffs to Alaska-Fairbanks at home. I was knocking my head up against the wall trying to figure out why. And their average age was like 24 and ours was under 20. A lot of it has to do with how we recruit. When I was at Lake Superior, we recruited 19-, 20-year-old freshmen and it helped us win. It’s a true advantage. That’s how we had to recruit to win.

It’s a little different at Notre Dame for me. I can’t recruit 20-year-old freshmen because all the top academic students out there are long gone by the time they’re 20. I’m not going to say it’s self-serving, but it’s self-serving both ways. I’ve experienced both ways. I experienced it at Lake Superior State one way, and I’m experiencing it another way at Notre Dame.

No comments:

Post a Comment