Tuesday, February 07, 2012

So is the Fighting Sioux nickname on the way back


Looks like the Fighting Sioux nickname issue isn't over just yet. I actually think this is going to be a huge mess and who know who this is going to play out.

Effective January 1st, 2012, the University is in the process of transitioning away from the nickname.

I guess UND will get to find out if the Big Sky Conference is bluffing or not? I have been told by people in the know that say that the Big Sky is not blowing hot air and that they are serious.

I predict that we will see a constitutional challenge in the future.

Grant Shaft, president of North Dakota’s State Board of Higher Education, is on record of saying, "that if an effort to refer a bill repealing the state’s “Fighting Sioux” law is successful his board may have to assert its constitutional authority."
Valley News Live --- It appears UND's Fighting Sioux nickname will be restored tomorrow, reversing legislative action to drop it last fall.

Nickname supporter, Frank Black Cloud tells Valley News Live they have over 15,000 signatures on petitions in support of restoring the Fighting Sioux Nickname. They needed at least 13,500 signatures to overturn existing legislation.

North Dakota Secretary of State, Al Jaeger says if nickname supporters file the required 13,500 signatures, it will instantly restore the original legislation that requires North Dakota and UND to keep the Fighting Sioux nickname. Then, Jaeger says their office will verify the signatures within 35 days. If they wind up with fewer than 13,500 "good" signatures, the law will return to drop the nickname.

Al Jaeger, ND Sec. Of State: "We will randomly select at least 2,000 names that we will be contacting with post cards or other means to verify certain information. We go through a very thorough process."

In the meantime the Fighting Sioux nickname will once again become law, unless voters throw it out during a statewide election in June.

UND officials aren't commenting about this latest development. They're in the process of retiring the nickname.
Like I have said in the past; I love the Fighting Sioux nickname and I am not happy that the University of North Dakota has to kowtow to political correctness.

As I have said in the past, I am proud supporter of UND athletics, I think the Fighting Sioux nickname is a honor. My question is; how long do we continue to fight the NCAA? They aren't fooling around either... The only chance we have of winning is the Spirit Lake Law Suit. If anything I suggest donating money to their cause so they can fight the NCAA.

UND lost the Fighting Sioux nickname the minute the North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem signed the surrender agreement with the NCAA. Because of Stenehjem signing that surrender agreement I will no longer vote for him as long as he runs for public office, he is useless to me and far as I am concerned not worthy of receiving my vote anymore.
Enhanced by Zemanta