Sunday, January 01, 2012

Fighting Sioux 1930-2012 R.I.P.

I think we can call December 31, 2011 as the day the Fighting Sioux nickname died, which got me thinking about a song, The Day the Music Died… Of course no one died in a plane crash, but the Fighting Sioux nickname is special to many of us in the UND fan base and this is an emotional day for us all.

As I left the press box of last night’s game and made my way down the to the basement for the press conference I felt a feeling of sadness. I feel like I have lost an old friend.

I don’t like the fact that UND has to surrender to political correctness, it’s not right that a few out of control bureaucrats can decide what a university calls itself.

I consider my self a bit of a constitutionalist and I believe the NCAA's policy is a violation of a states rights. That being said, there is nothing you and I can do about it. We can not jeopardize our sports teams in their transition to Division I. The Big Sky Conference is not amused and will drop us like a bad prom date, if they Fighting Sioux nickname debacle lingers on.

I think that there are many of us that are pleased that the Fighting Sioux won on the last day that UND will be ever be referred to as the Fighting Sioux. It's a fitting way to end 81 years of history in one of the most storied logos in all of college sports. The Fighting Sioux nickname that will live on in the hearts of Fighting Sioux fans around the globe. Fighting Sioux forever… R.I.P. Fighting Sioux…

Going forward what can we do?

What I do think is that UND fans and University of North Dakota Alumni should immediately set forth in motion is a movement to just be called UND, or simply North Dakota. We all know that they can never stop us from saying the home of the Sioux. Like The Sicatoka said on Sioux Sports, "control what's yours to control… If not we will end up with a really bad nickname replacement that none of us will be able to embrace or get behind. Lastly, during the past month we have watched with our vary eyes as the nickname has simply vanished into thin air. Sioux, Yeah, Yeah!!!