Sunday, May 09, 2010

Two Sioux may Bolt for Major Juniors (Redwing77)

Early Reports are filtering in that two Sioux players will be leaving UND to play Canadian Major Juniors.

The first one is New York Islander draftee David Toews. The second? Buffalo draftee Corey Fienhage.

To me, this is always a sad event even if it is justifiable.

David Toews never quite grew into being the type of player UND fans thought he'd become. However, that's not truly fair. It was no secret that David wasn't his older brother. It was also no secret that David plays a different style of game than Jonny. David still has some great skills, such as a good shot and stick handling, but couldn't crack the lineup. With the talent coming in, it would make it even more difficult for him to make the lineup. So, he's opting to the major juniors.

Brad Schlossman ponders whether or not he'll go to the WHL or the QMJHL. I, for one, hopes he goes to Brandon of the WHL, the team that drafted him in 2005. I hope the Q whithers and dies... ok, maybe not... well... I hope the trifecta of evil do anyways (Moncton of the QMJHL, London of the OHL, and Red Deer of the WHL). I think it just makes sense for David to play for a team close to home. [Link to the Grand Forks Herald Story]

Corey Fienhage is truly a hard luck case. He comes in early, gets railed by the fans (just like just about every defenseman who has come in young... Lee, Smaby, Finley are just a few like Corey). He never quite plays poorly. In fact, he played really well last season until inexplicably he gets benched in favor of Brent Davidson, a winger converted to D earlier that year.

How does that happen? Something must be going on in practice of off the ice, though I have no proof. There's no reports of attitude but there has been grumblings about work ethic.

It's too bad. I like Fienhage. I think he's a good, solid, defensive defenseman that has good size.

It's always tough to lose good guys but with only 2 seniors leaving, there's not a whole lot of playing time to be had.

Who will come in to replace them?

Well, in my opinion, I think no one should. We have an abundance of wingers and D now that Genoway is returning.

I've read that we have abotu 14 or 15 wingers (including Derek Rodwell) and 8 or 9 defensemen (including Forbort and Simpson).

If we did bring in one last winger, my choice would be Fargo Force forward Colton St. Clair. I would have thought Danny Mattson would be the guy but he's seemingly pulled a Mike Fink on us and has seemed to regress once leaving Minnesota High School.

I don't pretend to know how this is all going to work out, but in Hakstol I trust.

BallHype: hype it up!

10 comments:

  1. It's sad if true, but the players have to do what's best for them.

    I don't have a knock on what I've seen on the ice for either guy, but it's going to be tough for either one of them, especially Fienhage to get much playing time next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are saying Toews is going to the Q, he would have to clear waivers in the WHL first because hes from WHL territory.

    Stop hating on the Q ;)...Garrett Clarks hasn't turned to the player everyone thought he would be. You would be glad he went to the major junior route.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathan, So Toews would have to clear wavier Wire to get to the QMJHL? So WHL must be where he is headed then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes he would...if Brandon drops his rights the other WHL teams have the right to sign him before QMJHL or OHL teams do

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nathan -

    Thanks for reading my post!

    I thought it would be a long shot for Toews to end up in the Q, but the reasoning would be obvious:

    His best friend (Kelsey Tessier) plays in the Q.

    I kinda neglected to put that in my post.

    Anyways, I don't necessarily hate the Q. I just dislike the poaching. Maybe if the NCAA allowed players with MJ experience to keep eligibility it wouldn't be so bad...

    Anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redwing77 if a player decides that he isn't getting enough time on the ice and wants to go the CHL route, I wouldn't call it a poaching. I think defection is the right term.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps in this case, you're right Goon...

    But look at the likes of Adam Pineault or a few others (my mind's not working) that actively recruit a player away from the NCAA.

    The Sutters are notorious for belittling the NCAA (which is why Red Deer is one of the trifecta). London and Moncton seem to be the most successful for luring top tier players away from the NCAA.

    That's poaching. It's even been done on the NHL level (See Calgary and one Kris Chucko).

    It's true that lately the whole using the NCAA to get a better deal and a better team in Major Juniors has usurped poaching in terms of commonality, but I do believe it still exists, usually after a player commits and before he starts his sophomore year in college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Redwin77 I think the reason the Sutters may not like the NCAA is didn't they run a WHL team? I thought it was the Red Deer team.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sutters do run the Red Deer team. But they did pursue NCAA recruits fairly well.

    I'm surprised that Sutter didn't go after Drew Stafford, as he was a Red Deer draftee...

    Wasn't Travis Zajac also a Red Deer draftee?

    ReplyDelete