Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Goon's Ramblings 7-18-2006

The Goon Golfs in the 9th Annual Galen Nagle Memorial Golf Tournament

I had the opportunity to play in the 9th annual Galen Nagle Memorial Golf Tournament that was held at the beautiful Bemidji Town and Country. The golf tournament was a fundraiser for BSU hockey in honor of the late Former BSU Goalie Galen Nagle. The tournament was held at Castle Highlands in Turtle River until moving to the Bemidji Town and Country Club. I think this is a fabulous idea because there is no comparison between the two courses. BTCC is hands down a better course.

I had the honor of meeting this fine gentleman back in the early 1990's when I worked at Castle Highlands golf course during my college days. Galen was truly a great person.

I played with the Galen Nagle Memorial Golf Tournament with Scott “the Commish” Williams the television voice of the Beaver Hockey team, his brother-in-law Cole Jacobson, Eric Gilbertson and Scott Robbins. Even with me on the team; our team still finished in 5th place out of 39 teams. Two of our teammates Robbins and Gilbertson were great golfers and could flat out play, and were members at BTCC. The rest of us made some great shots and putts at key times.

History of the Galen Nagle Memorial Golf Tournament

The Galen Nagle Memorial Golf Tournament began in 1997 in an effort to build the Galen Nagle Endowment Fund.

Nagle, who was a goaltender for the Beavers from 1980-84, went on to serve as a coach and teacher in Minnesota for several years before losing his life to cancer Oct. 18, 1994 at the age of 34.

Nagle was a member of the historical 1984 national championship team at BSU. He earned an 8-1 victory between the pipes to cap off the perfect 31-0 season.

Galen exemplified Beaver hockey, said former BSU men’s hockey coach and athletic director R.H. Bob Peters. “Hard work, dedication and loyalty were inherent to his character, and through his efforts, he became a vital part of our team.

Nagle, a native of Baudette, Minn., graduated from BSU in 1984 and was a 1980 graduate of Bemidji High School.


Golf the Bemidji Town and Country Club
BTCC
I strongly advise anybody visiting the Bemidji to consider playing the Bemidji Town and Country Club, if you can afford dropping $50.00 bucks on a round of golf to go ahead and play this course, you will not be disappointed. Words just can't explain this course, and my description of this course will do it not justice, seriously this course is unbelievable and in awesome shape, in my opinion nothing in Grand Forks even comes close to this course and I play on Kings Walk (no Offense to Kings Walk). I am not kidding. The fairways at BTCC are like walking on carpet in a mansion. There isn't more than two greens that are flat on this course, the person that designed this course was an absolute genius. I know Joel Goldstrand made some improvements on it during the 1990’s but I am not sure if Goldstand is the one who should get the credit for the greens design. My only complaint on the whole course is that the greens are just a little slow after playing out at Kings Walk its hard to judge the speeds. I suppose with the hot weather the greens superintendent doesn't want to burn up his beautiful greens by cutting them any lower or with all the different slopes on the greens making them faster might make the course too hard to play for higher handicap players. Either way I can't fault them for that.

1 comment:

  1. Lover Boy is recovering from his hamstring injury. However, he hasn't golfed as of yet. I suppose he will try it soon in the up coming weeks. I know we are going to golf the Bully Pulpit in Medora during the second weekend of August around the 10th or 11th.

    ReplyDelete