Friday, October 02, 2015

Grand Forks Herald: Former Bismarck Mayor Marlan “Hawk” Haakenson UND can't use my trade names

First, what's this guy's end game? President Robert O. Kelley isn't budging either. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't see him putting North Dakota on the nickname ballot.

I know I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. But I don't see how one guy, who happens to be an NDSU guy, can derail the whole nickname process.

If I was the University of North Dakota, I would just ignore him. Don't like it, sue us in court. This would be tied up in the courts for years.
Per the Grand Forks Herald:
Former Bismarck Mayor Marlan “Hawk” Haakenson urged UND President Robert Kelley to add “North Dakota” to the ballot for a new nickname, saying he will not authorize the school to use four names he has registered as trade names.

In a handwritten letter sent Sept. 28, Haakenson said he owns rights to four names, having added “Roughriders Sports Team” to three names he registered earlier in September. “I will not sell the rights to use my trademarks. I will not let anyone use them.”

Haakenson also has registered trade names for Fighting Hawks, North Stars and Nodaks.

“You have time to add ‘North Dakota’ to your ballot, as an overwhelming percentage of your qualified voters have asked you to do. That’s the right thing to do,” he wrote. “You give the appearance of rigged ballot and vote.”
I know I have said this 100 times. I love the Fighting Sioux nickname. I also realize that this fight should have taken place about 5-7 years ago. It seems like some have been late to the party. The Fighting Sioux nickname is gone and not coming back. If UND had refused to change the Fighting Sioux nickname, there's no way that UND would be able to host an NCAA regional.

I also don't really like any of the nickname choices that we get to vote on. I could accept, Nodaks, Rough Riders/Roughriders (Not really sure how they will end up spelling this), and Fighting Hawks. These are the best choices in my opinion. I honestly don't know which of the three I will vote for. My friend Mafia Man from Sioux Sports, actually kind of swayed me towards Fighting Hawks. This seems to be the option that is trending as of late.

Again, I am pro-Fighting Sioux nickname, I will always be. I am worn out with the argument surrounding the nickname. I am (reluctantly) ready to move on, I will vote for a nickname in October. That being said, I will always wear my Fighting Sioux gear with pride when the opportunity arises. Last Wednesday, I wore a golf shirt with the Fighting Sioux logo on it to the hockey presser. I didn't even realize I was wearing it. Just came out of the wash that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment