Friday, September 18, 2015

Herald Letter: Here's hoping Haakenson blocks UND nickname change

When I read this letter, I have to giggle. If I am betting man and I am. I am pretty sure if UND fans vote in favor of Fighting Hawks, North Stars or Nodaks. I don't see Haakenson's little stunt stopping UND from using any of the three nicknames that he says that he registered. I predict there will be a vote in October and UND will probably end up being either the Fighting Hawks or the Rough Riders.

Granted, the three nicknames in question aren't great, but the Fighting Sioux nickname isn't coming back.

If UND was still the Fighting Sioux, they would have never hosted the NCAA West Regional Championship last spring. And I love the Fighting Sioux nickname.

  Per the Grand Forks Herald:
It's a terrific, creative step to register the proposed nicknames Fighting Hawks, Nodaks and the North Stars with the North Dakota Secretary of State.

As an attorney and UND grad, I can especially appreciate (Marlan "Hawk") Haakenson's innovative approach to impeding the university's endless quest to install a spineless nickname. By the way, I'm planning to go to the UND/North Dakota State University game in Fargo and proudly wear one of my Fighting Sioux shirts. And let's all plan to chant Fighting Sioux while we're in the Fargodome!

William Brotherton
Highland Village, Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment