Saturday, November 23, 2013

Let's not jump off the Sorlie Bridge yet... UND hockey

Sorlie Bridge connecting Grand Forks, ND to Ea...
Sorlie Bridge connecting Grand Forks, ND to East Grand Forks, MN (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Site information: Yesterday I tried to install the Disqus commenting system and I couldn’t get it to work. I am going to take another crack at installing the Disqus commenting system when I get a chance. If anyone is good at HTML code and wants to help me, let me known and I will buy you a couple of beers.

I also deleted my Intensedebate comments system. So I don’t have a real commenting system right now. You can comment on the blog if you have a Goggle + Account. Which is the wave of the future, or so I have been told. I am also in the process of redesigning my blog; I have no Idea where I want to go with it.

Last night’s game.


First off, I don’t see any reason to jump off the Sorlie Bridge (pick your bride, Sorlie, Kennedy, Columbia, Point). Not yet, but if want to jump ship, make sure to cut a hole in the ice so you don’t break your neck. I am not ready to give up on this team.

Rocco Grimaldi seems to think that the boys can right the ship.

Contrary to what some say, I think that there’s talent on the UND hockey team. Let's take a deep breath. I think that the goaltending has been questionable, but that will come. I thought Clarke Saunders was left out to dry last night. One the on goal, I thought that he was caught cheating as well.  I think that Zane Gothberg has had concentration issues and needs to focus.

I find do it comical that some fans are panicking already. We have seen this drill before. There’s a lot of season left. In nine plus seasons that Dave Hakstol’s has been the head coach, his teams, have been second half teams. Only exceptions, were the 2010-11 (Frozen Four team) and the 2012-13 season (Lost in the West Region to Yale).

This is a young team. It’s not an excuse. Last week during the Wednesday hockey press conference Dave Hakstol said, “This is a young team.” I was actually shocked that he said it. Hakstol wasn’t offering up an excuse, just stating a fact. I see no panic in the man’s body language. Although, the head coach didn’t look happy very happy either.

I know it’s cliché, but there’s a lot of season left. Sure, UND hasn’t looked very good so far this season. But, let’s examine reality. UND has 11 healthy forwards skating right now. That’s not an excuse, that’s brutal reality.

I have said this before and I will say it again. You don't hang Banners for winning in the early season. There’s no award given for the best record in October, November, December and January.

From the UND game notes: UND head coach Dave Hakstol, now in his 10th season behind the bench of his alma mater, is the only active head coach in Division I men’s hockey who has recorded a winning record in every season as a head coach. That includes Jerry York. 

Last night’s game


I thought the guys took some undisciplined penalties at key times during last night’s game. That has to stop if they’re going to be successful this season. 

From my perspective, from my seat on the couch last night, I thought the officials called some horrible ticky-tacky penalties last night. When I went back and looked at the play on my DVR, I thought where was the penalty on that call?  I don’t like the way that Hockey East officials call their games. I think that ECAC officials calls the game much like they do in the West. 

Brutal!

In my opinion, I felt that the refs let the Terriers get away with a lot of things that could have been called penalties both ways. That's how I saw it. I will be doing some video work this week. Let's also give credit, where credit is due. I thought BU played a pretty good hockey game, too. 

This is what head coach Dave Hakstol had to say about last night’s game. It is what it is. There’s no sugar coating it with Dave Hakstol, he call it like he see it. I don’t see him making any excuses.

“I thought BU played well tonight,” Dave Hakstol said.  “They capitalized on opportunities, did a good job on the power play.”

This is what the head coach had say on UND’s penalty trouble and trying to fight back after falling behind.

“I thought we had a real good first seven, eight minutes of the game. We spent last half of the period killing penalties.” “Had a two goal deficit, that’s hard to overcome on the road.”

“BU did a good job defending,” Hakstol said. “We had to attempt to kill five penalties in a row.

The head coach was asked about the team’s injuries.

“We had 20 guys dressed,” Hakstol said. That’s not an issue what-so-ever that’s not a topic in our locker room.

A couple of stats


During the 2011-12 season, UND started the season 4-7-1.

UND is 3-2-1 on Friday nights, 0-4-1 on Saturday nights and finally, 1-0-0 on Sunday nights.

Clarke Saunders 2-1-0, 3.50 GAA, .910 save percentage.
Rocco Grimaldi (4g-7a—11pts)
Drake Caggiula (4g-4a—8pts)
Michael Parks (3g-5a—8pts)

Goals for 29
Goals against 36
Scoring margin 40/59
Penalty Minutes 28
UND power play 26

UND penalty kill 10
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment