Sunday, June 16, 2013

Former UND forward Corban Knight to test free agent market.



There has been some speculation on-line this summer where the former Hobey Baker Memorial Candidate might end up. It's beginning to sound like it might be the Edmonton Oilers organization.
Jason Gregor, Edmonton Journal - So why didn’t the Panthers sign the resident of High River?

“After my season finished, we had talks with Florida and negotiations took place, but it turned out it wasn’t going to work out for both parties. We told Florida we were going to wait until free agency (Aug. 15) or a trade,” explained Knight.

The Panthers have drafted Jonathon Huberdeau, Vincent Trocheck, Nick Bjugstad and Quinton Howden in the past three years, and they want to give them a shot. After speaking with the Panthers and looking at their depth chart Knight and his agent felt it was in his best interest to test the free-agent market.

Three teams have contacted the Panthers about acquiring Knight, and the Oilers are one of them, according to my sources. Will they sign another top college free agent two years in a row?

Is Knight ready to play in the NHL this season?

“To be honest, four years ago and even two years ago I would tell you there was no chance that I was ready to step into professional hockey, and more specifically the NHL,” said Knight.

“However, with my development at UND I was able to get stronger and more physically mature, and I’ve taken big steps improving my foot speed. Obviously, I have a lot of respect for the NHL and the guys playing there, it is the best league in the world. However, I think if I was able to come into a training camp, have a good camp and get some lucky breaks, I’d like to think I’d have a chance to crack an opening-day roster.”
Enhanced by Zemanta