Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Keith Ballard ‘was sleeping 16-18 hours a day' due to concussion

Associated Press Photo
Here is a story about former Golden Gopher and current Vancouver Canucks Keith Ballard and what he has gone through with a concussion that he suffered earlier this season playing for the Vancouver Canucks.
Elliott Pap, Vancouver --- Ballard, 29, participated in the Canucks' morning skate prior to their game against the Los Angeles Kings and talked later about what he has endured since his last lineup appearance Feb. 7 against Nashville.

It may provide some insight into what Daniel is facing, or has faced, since Duncan Keith's cheap-shot elbow took him out last Wednesday in Chicago.

“I had a lot of different stuff,” Ballard said. “I had dizziness and a lot of headaches during the day. I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day and, when I tried to do some light workouts, I ended up getting real sick and I'd be in bed for four days. By around the end of February, we almost had no choice but to just shut me down and not do anything. At that point, I couldn't get through a day without a lot of symptoms.”

According to Ballard, he was initially injured Feb. 5 in Colorado.