Friday, July 22, 2011

Things that make you go huh?

This is the latest shot across the bow... Not sure what the motivation is? Really!!! McLeod is kidding right, he isn’t sure what the motivation is? How confident are you in WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod if your school is one of the teams left behind in the WCHA when the B1G and NCHC kicks off?
Mick Hatten; SC Times --- “I just never thought we’d get here and I never thought we’d be like (Division I) football and basketball,” said Bruce McLeod, who has been WCHA commissioner since 1994. “You understand with those cases that there’s millions and millions of dollars involved.

“I’m not sure what the motivation is,” he said of hockey. “It’s turned into much more of a business — I need to take care of me. I’m just surprised we got here.”

There will be 59 schools that will compete in Division I hockey for the 2013-14 season. That’s minute compared to Division I men’s college basketball (335) and less than half of the number of teams in the Football Bowl Series (120).
That is part of why the shock may seem greater in hockey. It’s a pretty tight-knit sport and why people who have been around it a long time are having a tough time wrapping their heads around all the movement, including why five WCHA teams left to form the National Collegiate Hockey Conference.
“No one can really explain why all this really happened,” said Craig Dahl, St. Cloud State’s Division I coach from 1988-2005. “I don’t think the coaches were all that fired up about it.

“For whatever reason, a couple schools decided the league wasn’t going to be big time enough for them and decided to move in a different direction, look sideways at the tradition of the league. They could care less about the smaller schools in the league. They’re only worried about their situation.”