Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Detroit Red Wings Offseason Notes (Redwing77)

Since we're talking NY Islanders prospects (what a goal!) and all, I thought I'd chime in about what's going on in Motown.

Former UW defenseman Brian Rafalski and All American Mike Modano have retired. I would have liked to see someone like Chay Genoway get a sniff from the Red Wings to replace Rafalski because I feel Genoway is just as good with the puck.

However, the Wings did sign Ian White to replace Rafalski. I don't feel he's as good as Brian but he'll do.

Also, Chris Osgood just announced his retirement. This is a VERY good thing. The Wings would have had to pay him too much (anything above veteran minimum for him is too much) to bring him back to be a backup. I thought Joey MacDonald played very well in the backup roll last year.

Nevertheless, Osgood had a stellar career and will certainly get HOF consideration. I'm not sure if he'll make it in, but I'll be rooting for him. He retires with 401 career wins. That's good for 10th all time. Not too shabby. He's also 4th all time in career playoff shutouts with 15.

Good luck running the Detroit Goaltending scouting and development program, Chris. And good luck with your golf game. Mine stinks.

What's next?

It's no surprise that Detroit wants to sign another goaltender to back up Howard and MacDonald. I'd love to see someone signed who can compete with MacDonald for the #2 spot. MacCollom isn't ready yet.

Here are a few goaltenders I'd love to see Detroit look at (all UFAs):

Ty Conklin
Brent Krahn
Pascal Leclaire
Justin Pogge
Hannu Toivonen

Only Conklin is really established as an NHL backup. The others might not pan out at all, but Leclaire and Toivonen intrigue me. Leclaire has the potential to be a great backup in the NHL but has been plagued by injury and playing for bad teams. Toivonen is a Finnish player and I argue that only San Jose has as good luck with Scandinavian players as Detroit. Krahn (along with Leclaire and Toivonen) are all former 1st round picks. I think Conklin is the only one on this list that would demand a higher price tag than the others. And I don't think Detroit needs to pay a lot for a backup.

Notice I did not put Ray Emery on this list. I don't like the guy. He probably has the most talent of the available goaltenders out there, but his head isn't screwed on tight enough and he is very inconsistent with his work ethic. Maybe he would work out with Detroit and undoubtedly Ray will get signed somewhere, but I don't think Motown needs a distraction like Emery.