Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sioux 3 Sled Dogs err Huskies 2

SCSU Hack/Thug Aaron Marvin is stopped by Aaron Dell - SC Times photo
I have to admit that I didn’t see the game last night because I didn’t want to watch another Sioux hockey game on the B2TV Network. I must say that this season I have been less than impressed with the quality of video broadcasts that the B2Network have produced. Since I have been unimpressed with their hockey broadcasts this season, adjectives like lackluster come to mind in describing them. In my opinion I don’t think their broadcast was worth the $7.00 that the B2TV Network charges to watch the games, so we spent $7.00 and went to the EDC hockey tourney instead. Speaking frankly the B2TVNetwork broadcasts suck, I don't know how I can say it any other way.

I know that this only lends credence to the argument that the NCAA needs to have a NCAA Center Ice hockey package so fans can view their team and not have to watch their favorite team on a laptop or desktop computer.

So yesterday; I decided to take in EDC Hockey yesterday with a buddy of mine and we spent the afternoon and evening watching North Dakota high school hockey. We watched three hockey games back to back and got to see player that hopefully will be a future Fighting Sioux hockey player in Keaton Thompson who said last week that he would like to be a member of the Fighting Sioux. It hard to believe that this kid is only a freshman in high school because he shows great poise and puck handling skills for a kid that is still developing physically, it will be interesting to see what he looks like in a couple of seasons. Thompson is supposed to join the Force now that his season is over. This is a developing story that I will follow closely. It will be interesting to see if he accelerates his high school studies or not.

While I was at the EDC games I followed the game on the FightingSioux.com chat and it sounded like that WCHA officials had what can only be classified as another very bad game on the ice. What I gleaned from the chat is that officials were blowing calls up and down the ice for no particular reason other than they are incompetent. Apparently, coach Hakstol was less than pleased with what he saw on the ice gave WCHA official Brad Shepherd an earful after the second period. Incidentally or maybe ironically, Brad Shepherd happens to be the son of WCHA on ice officials Greg Shepherd, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It’s the opinion of this blogger that Brad Shepherd is not a good on ice official and is only officiating hockey games in the WCHA because of his father’s position. I believe that nepotism and cronyism in the WCHA front office is having a very serious affect on the quality and integrity of play in the WCHA. I have been unimpressed with Brad Shepherds work all season long and I am not finding this situation to be amusing or funny.

I am hoping that when the Big Ten is finally a reality that Shepherd and crew of on ice buffoons go with the Big Ten Hockey Conference where they can team up with CCHA buffoon Matt Shegos, the fans deserve better than what they are getting from the on ice officials in college hockey. I don't believe the argument that they are only part time so fans should just shut the hell up and take it. The member schools need to start speaking up and let them selves be heard. I think we have seen enough of the WCHA officials quality of work to realize that they are being fed a red herring. This is the best hockey league in college hockey and the refs are bunch of bumbling buffoons that I wonder how they are able to tie their skates before the games they officate.

With the win last night there is some positives, Junior Brett Hextall now has 4 goals in 5 games, some have linked Hextalls resurgence to Hextall wearing his give blood play hockey hat during post game and Wednesday interviews. Hey if it works keep doing it, don’t take that hat off or wash it till after the season is over. I would recommend Mr. Hextall sleep with that hat on his head if he has to, whatever it takes.

With the win last night the Fighting Sioux are 7-1-2 on the big sheets this season (1-0-1 Kendall Hockey Classic), (2-0-0 Wisconsin), (2-0-0 Mankato), (1-1-0 C.C.), (1-0-1 SCSU) = 7-1-2 in ten games on Olympic sheets of ice this season.

Links to the game

Huskies fight hard but denied the win [SC Times]

North Dakota Edges Huskies 3-2 at the National Hockey Center [Center Ice]

Box Score

UND MEN'S HOCKEY: It’s old hat for Hextall and the Sioux [Grand Forks Herald]