Thursday, February 03, 2011

Friday morning free for all. Why does everyone hate the Gophers so much?

Since the Sioux are on the dreaded bye week and I am bored out of my friggen mind already, I figured I would stir things up a bit with this blog post. Why not? Let’s wade into another area that might be better off left unexamined. Ah, can we say what the hell; lets pose this question that that Gopher fan Paul LaPlante posted on Twitter the other day. I think it’s worth a look. Why do Sioux fans hate the Gophers fans so much? Why do Gopher fans hate Sioux fans so much. Do fellow Sioux fans hate UW fans as much?
@laplante5 Paul LaPlante @UWChuckSchwartz serious? Why does everyone else but Gopher fans hate the Gophers so much? For example, do UW fans hate UND as much?
First off I might rephrase the question to dislike instead of hate, because I really don’t hate too many people. I think back in the days when the Gophers were actually good and weren’t getting knocked out of the NCAA playoffs by Holy Cross or missing the Final Five and the NCAA tourney all together; I think what rubbed people the wrong way was their fans’ in your face lectures and pompous attitudes towards other fan bases by Gopher fans. In their hay day Doug and Frank the clownish but loveable buffoons in the FSN broadcast both helped fan the flames of discontent. Let the discussion begin…