Sunday, January 16, 2011

They said what?

The “halos” are out in Minnesota this morning. I guess the Sioux didn’t get the memo that you’re not allowed to go down when you’re cross checked. Lol!
"Then the penalties came," Lucia said.

Most notably, senior Jay Barriball took an inexplicable penalty, cross-checking Ben Blood from behind in the neutral zone. Blood flew to the ice like he'd been shot out of a cannon.

"I tapped him in the back, and I didn't think I did it too hard, and he kind of flailed his arms out and dove forward," Barriball said. "That was the first penalty." With the referee's arm up, Barriball then knocked down Chay Genoway and drew a second penalty for tripping, resulting in a four-minute stay in the box. On the ensuing kill, Aaron Ness was called for cross-checking when Brett Hextall went down like a ton of bricks in the crease. [Read the whole article]
Yeah! I have to admit that I saw the replay last night at home of the play where Blood got cross checked by Jay Barriball, yeah I admit that Blood might have sold it a bit, one could/might say that Blood took a dive… So what? It was the first time I have seen him embellish in three years of hockey. It would have been a penalty either way because Barriball hit him with a cross check from behind. Roe and Cepis embellish on a weekly basis... On the flip side of that argument, as a player, Barriball and Ness have to know better, just because your team is down two men doesn’t mean that you have a free pass to start hacking and cross checking people and the Gopher paid for it last night. The Sioux cashed in on that power play. I have seen the Sioux get called for the same thing.