Sunday, August 15, 2010

Why is everyone bonkers about Kaberle?

When I heard that the rumors last summer that the Boston Bruins might have been interested in Tomas Kaberle the first question out of my mouth was why? I am just hoping that Boston Bruins aren't one of the 10 teams in the mix for Tomas Kaberle this summer. While I know Kaberle is highly regarded by some, I have never been a big fan of him and he doesn't really stand out as being the type of defenseman that I would want to build my team around. Sure he had 7 goals - 42 assists - 49 points in 82 games last season but he was also a -16. Basically another offensive only defenseman that lacks grit and get caught up ice too much. No thank you, he isn't worth 4.25 million in my opinion.
“I think it’s 50-50. If I get the phone call that says he’s been moved to X team, I wouldn’t be surprised. But, having said that, I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if the clock ticks midnight (Sunday) night and he’s still a Toronto Maple Leaf,” said Curran, who spoke with Burke Saturday morning.

While Burke has said all along that he’ll happily keep Kaberle if he doesn’t get an offer he deems worthy of an all-star calibre defender carrying a $4.25 million (U.S.) price tag — albeit with just one season remaining on his deal — it is thought that the GM is assessing somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 different trade scenarios.

But Curran believes, no matter what the level of interest, nothing can be assumed.

“It’s an anxious time for Tomas as it is for the Leafs,” said the agent. “I think at this point, it’s probably better for everyone who is on the outside looking in, to just sit back with interest and wait to see what happens. I wouldn’t be surprised either way.”

Curran, as has been reported, said the Leafs have asked him if Kaberle would consider a contract extension if a trade isn’t made. The answer, of course, is yes. The 32-year-old defender has stated all along what he wants to remain a Leaf.

“There’s no sense getting into any of that right now. Let’s just wait and see if he is a Leaf by midnight (Sunday) or not,” said Curran. [Toronto Star]

BallHype: hype it up!