Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Something to think About.

Lights Action Camera
This past Thursday the University of North Dakota and the NCAA finally had their day in court as UND and the State of North Dakota filed an injunction against the NCAA. This injunction will allow the University of North Dakota football team to host an NCAA Division II playoff game.

Also present at the county Court house in Grand Forks on Thursday were the anti-name protesters. There seems to be a direct correlation between news cameras and protesters being present. It’s almost like the protesters had a scanner in their possession and they monitor it to see when the media is around, whenever the media shows up the protester do to. The protesters did not disappoint us Thursday there were out in full force, anti-Fighting Sioux name signs in hand. That’s not the funny thing, on Thursday I was going to shoot my deer rifle before the North Dakota deer-hunting opener when I realized I was low on rifle shells, as all hunters know you can’t shoot your rifle without having an ample supple of shells. So I decided to head to Cabela’s in East Grand Forks to purchase some more shells for my rifle. I decided to drive by the county courthouse on my way to Cabela’s to see if there were any protesters out and about. When I drove by the courthouse there was not one single protester anywhere to be seen, nor did I see any signs. An hour later my buddy Langer drives by the courthouse and calls me on his cell phone to say that the protesters are out there on the courthouse lawn. Hum, that’s funny I told him they weren’t there an hour ago.

An Interesting Perspective
There has been much written on this subject, in fact we have beat this one to death. It’s all over the Internet; of course everyone has an opinion on the matter. We all know the old sayings about opinions, they are like ___holes, everyone’s got one and they all stink. I think that there is one perspective that really hits home the crux of this argument Katherine Kersten a Star Tribune writer that has a conservative slant to her writings really touched on the facts in a recent article that appeared in the November 13th Star and Tribune. Here are a few of her points that I thought were really interesting. It really paints a different picture than what we have been led to believe.
Katherine Kersten

Fool Bear himself voted for such a resolution in 2005. “They told us just negative things — that UND was a racist place,” he explains. Now, he says, he believes that he and others were fed a bill of goods.

“When I went around to my constituents on the reservation,” says Fool Bear, “a majority of people said, ‘Why can’t we vote on it?’ “Most tribal members would support the name if they got the chance,” adds Joe White Mountain, another committee member.
That would be consistent with Indians’ views nationally. In a 2002 Sports Illustrated poll, 81 percent of Native American respondents said no when asked whether high school and college teams should stop using Indian nicknames.

Members of the Standing Rock judicial committee visited UND early in 2006 to assess the situation for themselves. “We spoke to everyone, from students on the street to people at the gas station,” says Fool Bear. “Not one gave us any evidence of racism. We went to a hockey game, and they talked about the courage and integrity of the Sioux people. We looked at each other like, ‘Wow, we don’t even honor our Sioux warriors or veterans like this on the reservation.’ ”

White Mountain recalls the committee’s meeting with a UND group that opposes the name. “I asked them, ‘What tribe do you belong to?’ ” he says. “Not one was a Sioux Indian.”This group insisted that the name promotes racism on campus,” adds Fool Bear. “I told them, ‘Put any instances of abuse in writing.’ Today, I’m still waiting — I haven’t gotten one complaint.”


Hum. That’s an interesting perspective that we just can’t ignore. No one was able to give him any instances of racism. So who is telling the truth? So if UND is such a bad place why do we have one of the largest American Indians programs in the country? I like the part where he talks to a group of students and none of them are Sioux. More to come I am sure. April 24th is a long time from now and it will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

11 comments:

  1. Here's something else to think about: Institutionalized racism. Unfortunately, not all of us Lakota (Sioux) people have bought into the non-Lakota belief that it is an honor to be made a mockery of or mimicked in popular media. Unfortunately, not all Natives have been educated about how oppression has been institutionalized in America. However, this Lakota has been. I've jumped through many hoops to be able to say that I am college-educated. I do NOT appreciate the use of my people's name or image as a method for non-Lakotas to celebrate their team's spirit. Find someone else to mimick and mock, please!! I could go into more detail, but quite frankly I, too, get tired of having to explain to the oppressors why they are oppressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fool Bear himself voted for such a resolution in 2005. “They told us just negative things — that UND was a racist place,” he explains. Now, he says, he believes that he and others were fed a bill of goods.

    So do we discount fool bear says? Lastly just because we go to UND approve of the logo doesn't make us oppressors

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goon, goon, goon....fighting with people again?!?! Didn't your mom teach you to play nice? HA HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah you know me, I am always in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok..I'll admit to "getting" the dirt car racing. I grew up in a small town...smack dab in the middle of 3 dirt tracks (not that you probably know them but they are Redwood Falls, Arlington, and Grove City..wait, Grove may be tar now...I don't know!)and I myself have gone to a few races and know people that race.

    I don't get the NASCAR obsession though where people feel the need to buy the jackets, flag, and deck out their cars/trucks with the stuff and watch it on TV. Boring...and very redneck.

    Now, I would disagree with your wife on the sprints. When ever I've watched races, those are my favorites. I mean, how can you not be intrigued by a car going something like 120mph and staing on the track by those little wing thingies? That's entertainment in itself. My brother used to go to ND to see the outlaw sprints. He was a big Danny Laskoski (no idea how that's spelled but I'm sure you know who I mean) fan.

    My friend's hubby used to race and she would make me sit in the pits with her so she could hear all of the inside scoop...I was like "uh, ok but I don't get half of what they're saying"...but it was funny to see the grown men all jacked up and wanting to fight each other...

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I've read the tribes do not support the name. I don't care one way or another. The Sioux name when mentioned in OUR circle commands respect. However the root of the name albeit debatable, is a derogatory name for the tribe/people.

    The good folks of ND need to get the tribes together and LET THEM VOTE!

    This is the ONLY way to resolve this issue. Has the school had a forum for the leaders of each tribe to voice their opinions(and their people) in front of the regents, NCAA and a judge?

    Now the lawyers are involved and forget about a fair, common sense approach to it.

    BTW you are No.7
    Way to go. You are almost a celeb!
    http://hockeysites.hockeyanalysis.com/

    I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Satnu,
    The ones making the most noise are the vocal minority. However, apparently there is this logic, that even if a very small number of people are offended the name it should be changed.

    Apparently some in this country believe that there is a constitutional right to not be offended. Where the hell do people get this logic. Well Hell I am offended by Hillary Clinton, I guess I should demand she be removed from the senate.

    Even the Liberal ALCU came to UND and found no racism here at UND. Like Fool Bear said in the Kathererine Kersten article, Fool Bear himself voted for such a resolution in 2005. “They told us just negative things — that UND was a racist place,” he explains. Now, he says, he believes that he and others were fed a bill of goods.

    “When I went around to my constituents on the reservation,” says Fool Bear, “a majority of people said, ‘Why can’t we vote on it?’ “Most tribal members would support the name if they got the chance,” adds Joe White Mountain, another committee member.

    That would be consistent with Indians’ views nationally. In a 2002 Sports Illustrated poll, 81 percent of Native American respondents said no when asked whether high school and college teams should stop using Indian nicknames.

    Members of the Standing Rock judicial committee visited UND early in 2006 to assess the situation for themselves. “We spoke to everyone, from students on the street to people at the gas station,” says Fool Bear. “Not one gave us any evidence of racism. We went to a hockey game, and they talked about the courage and integrity of the Sioux people. We looked at each other like, ‘Wow, we don’t even honor our Sioux warriors or veterans like this on the reservation.’ ”

    White Mountain recalls the committee’s meeting with a UND group that opposes the name. “I asked them, ‘What tribe do you belong to?’ ” he says. “Not one was a Sioux Indian.”This group insisted that the name promotes racism on campus,” adds Fool Bear. “I told them, ‘Put any instances of abuse in writing.’ Today, I’m still waiting — I haven’t gotten one complaint.”


    I say if there is evidence bring it out put it on the table like Fool Bear said. Of course the pro-name change people will say that they have all kinds of anecdotal evidence. Its not evidence,, you can't measure anecdotal evidence.

    Lastly, UND is not preaching, teaching, practicing institutional racism.

    Again I hate to bring evidence into the equation: "If anything is “hostile and abusive” at UND, it’s the way that some activists treat Indian students who take a different view.

    “Our young people go there to get an education,” says Fool Bear. “When they arrive, they’re asked, ‘What do you think of the logo?’ If they have no problem with it, they are badgered and harassed for four years.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. What?!?! No posts from this weekend's action?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy with deer hunting and cleaning up my doe. I haven't had time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, are you saying hunting is more important than hockey?!?!? HA HA!

    I don't get that obsession either...but yet found myself getting one of the "look at the cool deer I killed and am holding" pictures in my e-mail today. Yep, because I'm always thrilled at yet aother person taking one of those pix for me to see:) Of course, I do the obligatitory "wow! that's a nice deer..congrats!"...for all I know it was really a big dog...just kidding. It was a deer...I think...better for you people to kill it than my car to do the job...

    I was waiting for you to weigh in on the Gopher goal over at Western College Hockey....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I weighed in on the UM goal against Wisconsin. It was a blatant run over the goalie, the refs blew the call.

    ReplyDelete