Saturday, August 06, 2016

Jeff Dubay Sentenced for Meth Possession


On Thursday, we learned that former KFAN and ESPN 1500 personality Jeff Dubay, 48, had been the sentenced for possession of Methamphetamine, a felony. Dubay will also be required to attend and complete drug treatment.

This conviction is a result of an April 29, 2015, traffic stop when Dubay was caught on radar driving 50 MPH in a 35-MPH zone. A search of the vehicle revealed 31 used syringes and one syringe that was filled with drug suspected to be methamphetamine.

According to multiple newspaper reports, at the time of his arrest, Dubay had an outstanding warrant out of Wright County.

According to the SWC Bulletin, Dubay will be allowed to participate in an in-custody Sentence to Service program to reduce his remaining jail time.

To some, this is like Ground Hog Day all over again. First, I want to be clear, I like Dubay. Also, like many fans I am hoping at some point that Dubay can get his act together and recover from this horrible mess. I’ve talked to a few people that have been addicted to Meth and they tell me that it’s very hard to stay clean. So, Dubay is in for a very tough fight. I hope he can fight and defeat his demons and stay sober. I don’t want to see him become a statistic.

Relapses aside, I am pulling for him. Personally, I have met Dubay in numerous social setting (sans drugs) and he was truly a decent human being who was fun to talk hockey with. While he was extremely biased towards the Gophers, he did actually talk college hockey and give college hockey fans a forum to sound off in. After he was fired from KFAN, I had a hard time listening to the nine-noon show.

Back in 2013, I interviewed Dubay and this is what he had to say.

EB: Secret to staying sober?

JD: The key to my sobriety lies in how miserable my life became while using. When you get right down to it how hard is it really to stop doing something that you no longer enjoy at all and in many ways have grown to hate? The bottom line is I want to be sober and I don't want to use. I know that sounds simple but it has been for me and for that I'm very grateful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment