Saturday, December 05, 2015

Fighting Hawks Nickname Booed at the REA



As I mentioned last night. It probably doesn’t happen very often, but when public address announcer Darrin Looker announced that Fighting Hawks were at full strength, the UND faithful booed the announcement. The same thing happened again, on no less than six different occasions. Seriously, the fans booed their new nickname the Fighting Hawks. The hometown fans followed up their disdain for the new nickname with chants of Sioux forever and let’s go Sioux chants.

I guess that some traditions don’t just fade away with a couple of votes.

While the UND fans were unhappy about their new nickname, the play of the home team gave the fans something to cheer about. And cheer they did.

The boos from fans were definitely heard by the players.

“Yeah we could hear it,” UND senior forward Caggiula said. “That’s all I can say about it.”

Yeah, I heard them,” UND sophomore goalie Cam Johnson said. “I actually like that. I was laughing at first.”