Thursday, October 15, 2015

Oh Boy, Let's Reject the Sundogs Nickname Outright

Yesterday, the Grand Forks Herald asked readers what nickname they liked the best. Today, the Herald posted the comments from readers. A few of them make you want to pull your hair out of your head. Like I mentioned yesterday, it would be interesting to know how many of these people actually played an organized sport. Also, when I see the nickname Sundogs, I don't think of power or intimidating. I think of activating the 9/11 system, because I am going to have a stroke.

Many of you probably told them none of the above. That was my response. I am going to vote for Fighting Hawks. People eligible to vote need to come out and defeat the Sundogs nickname.

Some of these comments make my head explode. Here's the comments that stick out.

You can read the whole article by clicking on this link:
Sundogs. Unique, durable, sustainable, and leaves options for mascot and logo wide open.

Sundogs. I envision a logo of the head of a dog wearing sunglasses and I think that would be pretty cool.

Sundogs, due to it sounding best when introducing teams and being geographically relevant. The other options have too many negatives, including too many like mascots and mocking relevance.

sUNDogs. I like the UND in the middle, and that it has a bit of a Native American connection. "Part of the time we marched in the teeth of a biting storm of snow, and at every hour of the day the sun could be discerned sulking behind soft grey mists in company with rivals, known in the language of the plains as 'Sun-dogs', whose parahelic splendors warned the traveller of the approach of the ever-to-be-dreaded 'blizzard'." [Bourke, John (1966). Mackenzie's Last Fight with the Cheyennes. Argonaut Press Ltd. p. 10.]

I plan on voting for Sundogs because I think it is unique for the area, has UND in the name, and would lend itself to an interesting logo. - Casey Stittsworth, attended UND 2003-2007, men's hockey season ticket holder.

I'm an alum who has been watching this debate rage for 25 years. Let's pick a name and get it behind us. Yes, in our hearts, we will always be Fighting Sioux, but we need an official nickname for the generations to come. My choice is the sUNDdogs. It's unique. It's timeless. It has ties to the region. We can educate people about our climate. I think a well-designed logo could make this something special for UND.

No comments:

Post a Comment