Thursday, October 08, 2015

Former UND Grad to Take Legal Action Against UND over Nickname

Just when you think you're finally going to vote, another wrench gets thrown into the equation. This is turning into a soap opera. Or a train wreck that you can't take your eyes off of.

According to Rob Port of Say Anything Blog, UND grad William Brotherton is plans to take legal action against the University of North Dakota. I kid you not.

I would imagine that he better hurry up, there's only 10 1/2 days until voting takes place. Also, there might be question on whether Mr. Brotherton actually has standing in this manner.

“We are looking to raise money to look at filing a pleading by next friday [October 16],” William Brotherton, who operates the Brotherton Law Office, told me today. “There’s a number of questions as to how the nickname committee arrived at its decision on the five names. There is the huge outcry over the fact that North Dakota is not listed as one of the options for the voters. There’s also an outcry that you can’t even write in any other choice. It all seems to be very much orchestrated.”

Asked how he got involved, Brotherton said people started contacting him after he wrote an op/ed published in the Fargo Forum about the controversy. “I have received a lot of calls and emails from folks because I wrote an op/ed,” he said. “A bunch of folks have been contacting me so I guess I sort of became the lightning rod for all this.”

Like I have said in the past, I favored the UND/North Dakota option, but I have since warmed to moving ahead and voting for a new nickname. Fighting Hawks is the one that I have decided I like the best. The other four options all have issues. Especially, the Sundogs option.

No comments:

Post a Comment