Wednesday, September 02, 2015

UND Nickname: Who Should Vote?

We're finally seeing the light at the end the of the tunnel. This fall, the current UND students, current UND faculty, current UND staff, UND Retirees, UND Alumni, UND donors (including Champions Club members) (one vote per account) will vote for the new UND nickname. Finally, current season ticket holders to UND athletic events (one vote per account) will get to vote.

Mike Connor from Starkweather, N.D. thinks that tax payers should be able to vote.

Per the Grand Forks Herald:
Because I did not attend UND, have never worked for UND and do not own a season ticket, I really have no business fretting about the university's choice of a new nickname. Or at least, that appears to be the opinion of UND President Kelley.

It is clear that Kelley has disenfranchised me and many other North Dakotans by barring our vote on the nickname, even though we are taxpaying residents of the state.
On the Flip side of the argument Rodney Iverson from Chandler, Ariz thinks that non-alumni shouldn't be able to vote.

Per the Grand Forks Herald:
The issue I have is with allowing season ticket holders and donors who are not alumni to vote.

And the reason I have an issue with it is the fact that there are many people who can't afford to donate or to buy season tickets but still are huge UND fans.

They certainly would fall under the "stakeholders" group, but because they can't afford to buy their way into voting, they're being left out.

By the way, I am not in that category; I am an alumni and will get the chance to vote. Just call it the "bleeding heart liberal" in me that is finding an issue with this system.

The only fair solution would be to insist that non-alumni cannot vote, even if they hold season tickets or have given money to the university. I know this suggestion will anger some non-alumni, while others will cheer it.
I think UND President Robert O'Kelley is right on who can vote in the nickname process is correct. If UND let every one that wants to vote, vote, especially those with no skin in the game; imagine that results.

I think that President Kelley is also right to not let the trolls from other campuses and fan bases, with bad intentions vote in the process. Bravo President Kelley.

So, no. I don't think the "Tax Payers" in North Dakota should have a vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment