Monday, October 07, 2013

UND Hockey: More on the Shootout


The NCAA hockey season kicked off this past weekend with a series of exhibition games and three regular season games. The newly founded National Collegiate Hockey Conference is set to begin play this season. The NCHC will use the shootout to break ties during conference match-ups, if the game is tied after a standard five-minute overtime period.  

Like I mentioned in an earlier article, while this move is going to be a controversial to some NCHC hockey fans, I think it’s a smart move by the NCHC to adopt the shootout.  Why not? To me, it seems like a no-brainer.  According to College Hockey Inc., Division I College hockey is responsible for providing and supplying about 30 percent of the players that play in the NHL. If Division I college hockey is going to continue to be a top development league and a route to the NHL, College hockey rules “should” closely mirror those of the NHL. I believe this is a move in the right direction.

Last night during the exhibition game the Manitoba Bison, at the end of the game, the two teams had a shootout. It was a practice run for UND. UND outscored the Bison 2-0 with UND goalie Zane Gothberg stopping both Bison shooters that he faced.

In interviewing some of the players on the UND Hockey team, they do seem excited about the prospects of the NCHC using the shootout to break ties. This past week, UND goalie Zane Gothberg was asked about the new league and unsolicited he brought up the shootout.

“I am looking forward to it, especially with the shootouts that they’ll have at the end of the game, if there’s a tie,” Zane Gothberg said. That will be kind of cool.

Junior forward Michal Parks was asked about his thoughts on the shootout and this is what he had to say.

“I like it,” Parks said. “It will make our game more like the NHL game.”

To be honest with you, I am excited about the shootout as well. I think it’s going to be an exciting feature of the NCHC. I also believe the fans, for the most part, will embrace them.

For those that are interest in online betting, check out this site Ice Hockey betting online.

Enhanced by Zemanta