Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sabres star Thomas Vanek hasn’t requested a trade



If I am reading this right, it would appear, at least from my vantage point, that Thomas Vanek might not be all that happy about the Sabres being in a rebuilding year. Of course, a player like Vanek doesn't have to worry too much, he's going to be in demand and he's going to command at least 7-7.5 million. I also think that he will have a few offers to look over like Zach Parise did.
Bill Hoppe, Olean Times Herald – Thomas Vanek spoke firmly. No, the high-scoring winger said, he hasn’t asked to be traded from the Buffalo Sabres. The widespread belief he wants out of town doesn’t bother him. But it’s simply not true.

“The media and people, they can make up their own assumptions as long as I know where I’m at and stuff and my family’s at. That’s fine,” Vanek said following an off-ice workout Wednesday morning. “At the end of the day, people will find out, either from me or the Sabres, just like I’m telling you right now, that’s not true. I’ve never asked for a trade, so I’m not surprised that I’m still here.

”Nonetheless, the Sabres have said Vanek and starting goalie Ryan Miller, the two franchise cornerstones whose contracts expire after the upcoming season, could be dealt.

After the Sabres dished several high-profile veterans late last season and began looking to the future, Vanek was the most outspoken, voicing some disappointment and saying he didn’t want to partake in a two- or three-year rebuild. But the 29-year-old also said he would wait and see before making another commitment to the Sabres, something that he repeated on Wednesday.
Enhanced by Zemanta