Sunday, November 04, 2012

Goon’s Pontifications and Shot Charts from (11/3/2012)



s/t to Stats On Crack... This weekend’s series against Boston University had the feel of the NCAA playoffs. “Yeah I think you know a university like Boston University coming in, it’s a big program and nonconference games are so crucial in the NCAA,” Knight said. “I think after last night I think the blood was pretty high between the two teams there, it definitely think it was a playoff atmosphere out there tonight.”

I have read some comments on how fans are disappointed that UND lost to the Terriers. I think many are because UND blew a 2-1 lead, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Late in the game, UND made two glaring mistakes in the defensive zone that lead to puck ending up in the back of the net. I think we also have to give credit where credit where credit is due, BU is a good hockey team and their goalie Matt O’Connor is the real deal.




Corbin Knight recorded his 100th point (38g-62a—100pts) with an assist on Danny’s Kristo’s first goal of the season. Knight continued his mastery in the faceoff circle as he went 14-8. For the Boston University Terriers Cason Hohmann was 12-7 in the faceoff circle.

I was impressed with the play of Boston University freshman goalie Matt O’Connor (Toronto, Ontario) who was very good in last night’s game. If you look at the shot chart for the first period you will see that UND had five shots down low in the shot that O’C stopped. O’Connor has been impressive so far this season, he has a 4-0-0 record 1.81 GAA and a save percentage of 0.942, those are pretty good numbers for a freshman goaltender.

On the other side of the net, I thought that Zane Gothberg (1-1-0, 1.73 GAA, 0.902 SV %) played okay last night. I was kind of surprised that Coach Hakstol didn’t come back with Clarke Saunders Saturday night after as well as he played in the first game.

Right now, in my opinion, I think that Saunders (2-1-1, 1.73 GAA, 0.933 SV%) is definitely the better of the two goaltenders. I think Gothberg has a lot of talent and will be a good goalie for UND, but right now he’s a freshman goaltender in a league full of older players.