Monday, May 07, 2012

Giroux faces hearing with Dept. of Player Safety

csnphilly.com
Philadelphia Flyers star forward Claude Giroux has a hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety this morning and I believe that Giroux deserves to have a one game ban for his head shot on Dainius Zubrus at the 19:56 mark of the second period in last night’s Eastern Conference Semifinal game against the New Jersey Devils. Zubrus was stunned by the hit but did return in the third period of last night game and scored an empty net goal.

This is what Giroux had to say about his cheap shot on Dainius Zubrus.
"I was trying to finish my hit and he kind of leaned in and he kind of tried to chip the puck in I think," Giroux said. "I didn't see the replay so I don't know. Obviously I'm not a dirty player. I don't want to hit guys in the head. But I was just trying to finish my hit there.

"I think I should be fine [in terms of a suspension]. He's leaning in. At the same time, [Anton] Volchenkov hit [Wayne] Simmonds in the face with an elbow. If they look at mine, they should probably look at that one, too."
Like I said yesterday, there is no doubt in my mind that Giroux should be suspended by the NHL for his bush league and dirty hit on Dainius Zubrus's because this hit is a violation of the NHL’s Rule 48, however, Brendan Shanahan probably won’t since he has been very reluctant to suspend any star players for dirty hits. Usually it takes multiple infractions before the NHL’s Department of Player Safety takes punitive action.