Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Gopher's Nick Bjugstad scores, Mario Lamoureux gets hurt


I have seen a few people talk about this play on line and this was the first time that I had seen this video, the Whistler made mention of this play in his blog post on Friday night.
The Sioux played the Gophers well through most of the game. The first goal was by Nick Bjugstad on the power play that wound up being a virtual 5 on 3 as Mario Lamoureux blocked two shots which broke his stick and left him nearly unable to stand. I give him a lot of credit for getting up and still attempting to block more shots, though it wasn't hard for the Gophers to move around him.
I agree with the Whistler and I actually think that Mario should be applauded for his effort, I have seen a few people criticize him for staying on the ice. I am not sure what Mario is supposed to do in this situation? Lamoureux is obviously hurt; he is caught out in no man's land, the Sioux bench is a long ways away from  because its the second period, so the captain continues to play in pain. In my opinion that establishes Mario as a selfless leader who put the team before his own needs.
Enhanced by Zemanta