Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Edit; MSU plucks Anastos from the CCHA.

This has turned into a crazy story; apparently MSU went after Tom Anastos and he had no clue they were interested in hiring him as the head coach of the MSU Spartans. Personally, I can see how when this story first broke that some including me would look at this cynically… Look the CCHA isn’t a very attractive league minus Michigan State and Michigan. I could personally care less about tOSU because they have done nothing notable during their college hockey existence. I wouldn't have blamed him if he did in fact bail on the CCHA. I still wonder how the fans over at Save UAH Hockey  feel about this move; are they cheering Tom Anastos leaving the CCHA leadership post?
The State News --- MSU’s new hockey coach will be former Spartan and current CCHA Commissioner Tom Anastos.

Anastos said in a release he is excited about returning to MSU.

“The expectations I have for our program will be to compete annually for conference and national championships,” Anastos said. “That was the expectation when I was here as a player and as an assistant coach, and I don’t believe it should be any different in my role as head coach. … I am excited to get started, to hire a staff, and to get myself re-acclimated within the MSU community.”

MSU has been looking for a new coach since Rick Comley announced his retirement on Jan. 25.

MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis said in a release Anastos brings the passion needed to coach a hockey program like MSU.

“He can attract high-caliber talent and develop those players into those who are attractive to the National Hockey League. He places a premium on education, and the drive and desire to compete for championships,” Hollis said. “Hockey is important in the state of Michigan, and it is also important to Michigan State. We will continue to provide the resources to appropriately support this program, and to best prepare our student-athletes for their personal future … in the NHL and the business world.”