Thursday, August 05, 2010

Another reason to be positive - Chay Genoway's return...

Here is another reason to have a positive outlook for the 2010-2011 Fighting Sioux hockey season. Edit - If you haven't seen it; super pseudo reporter Patrick Miller from USCHO has an awesome article on Chay Genoway's recovery. Reading this this story makes me very happy that the captain Chay Genoway will be back on the ice when the puck drops in October. I would have to think that Chay is going to be one of the favorites/front runners for the Hobey Baker Memorial Award.
Then, in the blink of an eye, it all changed. At Ralph Engelstad Arena in a game against St. Cloud State, an elbow from behind stapled Genoway’s head to the glass. It happened so fast that the officials at first threw the wrong Huskies player out of the game.

Eventually, SCSU center Aaron Marvin was assessed a major for checking from behind and a game misconduct. The WCHA later added a one-game suspension for the hit on Genoway.

“I never lost consciousness,” Genoway says. “I knew I had my bell rung. I’d had my bell rung before. It seemed a little different. I knew where I was and all that. It was one of those things. I knew I probably shouldn’t finish the game. I kind of had the idea that something was wrong. I had a headache.
----------(snip)----------
Genoway won’t discuss the medical details of his current status, and coaches are prohibited by federal law from disclosing such information. But he plans to be playing for North Dakota when the season begins in October, and he hopes his teammates give him the opportunity to captain the team again.

“Summer feels like it’s gone by fast, but not fast enough,” Genoway says. “I’m ready for October. It’s been too long.”[Read the whole story here]
I also can't wait for the first time SCSU and UND play this winter, mark it on your calender December 3rd and 4th Aaron Marvin and the SCSU Huskies travel to the Ralph Engelstad Arena to get beat by the Fighting Sioux.
BallHype: hype it up!

4 comments: