Monday, July 14, 2008

McCloud and Shepherd should take note.

Here is an interesting revelation from former Sioux Jonathan Toews on the difference between college and playing in the NHL. Seems that college is harder to score when you're being hooked and held up and down the ice. It is easier to make plays when you don't have people draped all over you.
Plenty of hype follows Oshie to St. Louis
Oshie admits he's nervous about coming to camp. It has nothing to do with his talent and everything to do with him not being familiar with the NHL game.

"I feel good, but I haven't skated with the big guns yet," Oshie said. "They told me to expect a faster game. The game is a lot different than it is in college. Once I adapt I should be OK. I think I'm just wondering if I will be able to keep up and be able to contribute."

It's not as if Oshie isn't clued in to the NHL game. One of his good friends is Chicago's Jonathan Toews, a former UND teammate. Oshie stayed in touch with Toews, the second runner-up for the Calder Trophy this past season, by picking his brain about the pro game.


"He's been one of the best college hockey players in the country. He has taken his team to the Frozen Four twice in a row as one of the best players on that team. Those are the things that build the expectation and I think he has those expectations for himself. We definitely have them, but it does come down to how he does in September."

Toews told Oshie that he found it to be easier for faster, skilled forwards to make plays in the NHL because of the restrictions on clutching and grabbing, which don't exist in the college game.

"At the college level, clutching and grabbing is a good play for a defenseman," Oshie said. "Johnny Toews was talking to me about how much easier it is to make plays (in the NHL) because you don't have guys all over you. In college, guys were all over him and that's why he didn't put up the big numbers."

6 comments:

  1. I'm crying so hard for them both right now.

    Maybe they should send the memo to their own defencemen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has nothing to do with the sioux defensemen doing it. It is the fact that it is allowed is the problem. As long as it is allowed they are no differant than any other team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact is, Goon KNEW that I was going to be all over this article! It's almost like he's baiting me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, not me. I wouldn't do that.
    :)

    Personlly I think they need to seen the memo to ALL of the Defenseman. Obstruction needs to be called and the morons running the league are the first ones that need to get on board.

    The players of ALL the teams will get it eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually if I was going to try and bait RWD I would have said that the Bull Dogs are the master of obstruction. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just our rink size that makes you think that.

    ReplyDelete